1/4 cup unsalted butter
4 cups flour
1 teaspoon sea salt
8 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2oz freeze dried strawberries (crushed)
1 cup unsalted butter (cold and cut into 1/2 inch cubes)
1 1/3 cup buttermilk
2 pints fresh strawberries (cut into chuncks)
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
juice of 1/4 lemon
2 cups cold whipping cream
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 450 F. Place 1/4 cup butter in jelly roll pan (cookie sheet with the lip all around) Set aside
2. In medium bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder, sugar and freeze dried strawberries.
3. Smoosh the butter cubes into the dry ingredients. Try and work quickly and until there are a few pea size pieces of butter left, but most of it rubbed into the flour.
4. Whisk together the eggs and buttermilk. Pour into the center of the butter/dry ingredients mixture. Gently mix with your hands until it starts to come together a bit. (this is messy, but worth the extra care) Pour out onto clean, lightly floured surface.
5. Knead until it comes together completely. Shape into a rough rectangle and fold over onto itself. Press down until it is back to the same size, fold over onto itself again and repeat 5 times.
6. Roll into rectangle about 1/2 inch thick. Cut into squares, the size of your choosing.
7. Place cookie sheet into the oven to melt the butter. Place the biscuits into the cookie sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown and fluffy.
8. combine strawberries, 1/3 cup sugar, black pepper and lemon juice. Let set for about 10 minutes. Meanwhile whip cream, powdered sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form.
9. Split a strawberry biscuit in half, layer with strawberries and whipped cream and smile.